Pop Music and Parents in the Sixties- Part 2
Anecdotes provided by Cousin Pete:
At the start of the 60's my group of choice was the Dave Clark Five - with school blazer and cricket trousers I was an unofficial paid up member - which led to my initial interest in the drums. Then Dad brought home a copy of "Not Fade Away" and I was smitten.
At that time, various pop-business related people passed through the garage where Dad worked fixing cars and the old groups' favourite, the Ford Transit. Later goodies which came my way through this source were the single of "Like a Rolling Stone", the album"Are You Experienced" and a cow bell which had purportedly belonged to Ginger Baker, although I haveno provenance for this item. When I enquired whether the Rolling Stones had done any other stuff Dad went and ordered "I Wanna Be Your Man" and "Come On" from that record shop which used to be on Upper Street just south of which ever Corner. If my parents were subsequently concerned that I went for the dangerous ones rather than the boys next door then it was a self-inflicted wound on their part. Of, course, asthe Stones got hairier and I got older, more of The usual generational banter came in - Ol' Big Lips, what do you see in that lot etc etc.
Anecdote two relates to the time when Mum was working in the restaurant above the pub which was opposite the Finsbury Park Astoria, later The Rainbow. The Beatles were touring and she served them with a mid-day meal on the day of the concert. The manager of the theatre later gave her a cardboard stand which stood about 4' high on the front of which were 4 large black and white signed photos of the Beatles. It was the sort of thing Which they used to stand in the foyer of the theatre. With me being Stones rather than Beatles and my sister Sheila being Walker Brothers rather than either of the other two, this current day valuable artifact was dumped, much to our everlasting regret. Had the provenance but not the item!
My wife Viv was really the one for clubbing in the 60's. She went to Heathrow to see The Beatles, was at the 14 Hour Technicolour Dream at Alexandra palace, frequented The Marquee, The Flamingo, The Scene etc and apparently had an autograph book packed with signatures of people like The Kinks, Moody Blues, Georgie Fame and the other groups on the circuit. This went missing years ago. Viv also used to go to The Manor House pub which was a venue for groups at the time including some early gigs by the Rolling Stones.


0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home